Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Week #36 - Argentine Ice Cream = HEAVEN!!

Good morning everyone!!  

For starters, you will all be happy to know that I am writing this email FIRST, so that I can actually get a good email off for the first time in... three weeks or something. Yeah, sorry about that. After reading and seriously giggling at my cousin, Sister Stewart's letters, I am forcing myself to sit down and actually write a good letter, ha ha :)  

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JAYLEE AND ANDREW!!! Also, happy early birthday to Eden! Congratulations to Jameson, Andrew, and their vocal group for winning a spot to open for Vocal Point!!! I'm a little in shock right now. THAT'S AMAZING!!! Seriously, why is my family so cool. Ni idea.
 
Our week was AWESOME! Okay, really, every week for a missionary is awesome. And hard. But mostly awesome :) Lets go back to the basics and start off with a list of fun facts, shaaaaaall we? 

1) Halloween!! We celebrated by buying some yummy ice cream from Grido, the food of the missionaries :) Seriously, its dang cheap ice cream, and since missionaries can't really do anything too extravagant to celebrate anything... we buy ice cream! I got cream of almendra, (almond) and it was ridiculously, amazingly good. Like, really! 



2) This week, we were lying in bed, half asleep - well, I was half asleep at least. I don't really know what Hna Nunja was thinking because all of a sudden, she starts singing the following song under her breath: 

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe? 

I seriously started busting up laughing, which I learned is slightly dangerous to do when you are lying down as I have a slight tendency to do `a knee jerk` when I start laughing really hard and nearly pegged myself in the face. This is really rather serious when you have legs as long as mine, ha ha. It was seriously hilarious, and I'm still giggling just writing about it :) 

3) Flood! So much flooding! Seriously, there was a HUGE rainstorm here about 3 days ago, and when the thunder boomed it set off all the car alarms in the street by our apartment. It was raining straight for about 14 hours, and flooded all our apartment. I feel like kind of a whiner writing about that since I just finished reading Hna Shaleah Anderson's email, ha ha :) For those who don't know her, she is one of my best friends who is currently serving in Costa Rica, and basically her every week includes killer rain storms and GIANT bugs. Okay, maybe I'm just whining, ha ha :)  

4) Yet another flood story! Every transfer, our schedule for Pday is slightly off, because we have a dia de limpieza (cleaning day) and clean our whole apartment on Monday. Yesterday, we were giving our apartment some serious love scrubbing, and our toilet kind of exploded. We went on an adventure to try and find a plunger, and finally succeeded, although it was.. slightly different than I thought it would be. Here, you buy the black rubber part separately, then stick a pole on the top - they don't come together. This would be fine, except the poles they use here are the same generic wooden one that you also use for brooms and mops. Soo... basically, I felt like King Arthur pulling the sword out of the stone as I was using a 6 foot long poled to plunge our toilet! ha ha. On the plus side, the water stopped flooding. And I'm pretty sure that plunger can double as a self defense weapon if anyone ever tried to break into our apartment. Maybe I should start carrying that little guy around when we work in dangerous areas.  

Not that we have dangerous areas. Moving on... 

5) Miracle of the week - we were literally completely out of plata (money) this last week and were not going to receive any more for a while; therefore, I didn't have any money to buy more than 1 jug of water for our water dispenser. Since it has been super hot here lately and we`re not allowed to drink the tap water, I was a little concerned. So, every time I filled up my water bottle, I said a little prayer that our Heavenly Father would lengthen out our water. Sure enough!! That one little jug - which normally lasts us for about 2, 3 days - was chugging out water for a little over a week. I love the little miracles of life. It makes me appreciate my Father in Heaven so much more :)  


Also, I was called to train again! Hna Nunja is going to a different area, and I`ll be training another newbie tomorrow! I'm heading to the mission home tomorrow, so stay tuned to learn more about who she will be! Wahoo!! 

Okay, lets just stop there, shall we? Overall, it was an amazing week :) Especially so, because I can feel myself growing and learning, and there is no better feeling in the world. And little lesson that the Lord taught me this last week - we have to be willing to turn EVERYTHING over to the lord, including our fears, our hesitancy, our doubts. We cannot be an adequate servant in the Kingdom of the Lord if we are not willing to become who He would for us to be. Shyness is not a Christlike attribute. If we want to work for the Lord, we must become like Him - and although I personally believe that Christ may have been a bit of introvert, I also know that He, like us, had to sacrifice that discomfort to be an instrument in the hand of God.  

I love you all. Have I mentioned that yet this week? Because I really do. Like really :)  

Love, Hna Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment