Monday, March 31, 2014

Week #57 Lamanite Territory!

Hey gang!!  

Another week and another slew of miracles and adventures. I feel like time will not do me justice to try and explain, haha :) however, I`ll do the best I can! 

We have had incredible progress here in our area. When we arrived as a whitewash, we were starting from 0, so our first week was a focus of finding investigators to teach! The Lord blessed our efforts incredibly, and between all the contacting and referrals from members, we are now in a the bind of having so many people to teach, that we are running around like crazy trying to fit it all in! I love being so busy in doing good :) this weeks focus was challenging to baptism - yet again, another huge week of miracles, and there were many who accepted the invitation to change their lives through covenants of the Lord. The challenge now will be to keep everyone moving forward, but that is a challenge that I like :)

Couple funny moments of the week:

1) There is a part of our area that is pretty much slums, but we would have never had anything happen, so don't worry :) However, Hna Perez and I pinned a nickname on that side of the railroad tracks - the Lamanite territory :) Every time we cross the railroad tracks, we give each other a dramatic look and say `entering Lamanite territory `. The really funny part is that we sometimes slip and refer to this area as such when we are with a member, and they just give us weird looks, haha :)

Okay, this last week, I started telling a few good stories about our new friend Daniel and never was able to do them justice! So, I'm going to slip in a few good ones right now. To explain, Daniel. Like I explained last week, The mom is a member, but all of her children are not. the only child still living at home is called Daniel, and he is a total RIOT. its a little sad, because he was so heavily involved with drugs - a huge, huge problem here - when he was younger, that it left him mentally handicapped. Although that is the sad part, it makes for hilarious lessons. Lets have a few highlights, shall we?  

2) In our first lesson, Hna Perez asked Daniel if he would read a scripture in the Book of Mormon. He just looked at her and said `no, I cant read`. His mom just looked at him and said `what? Yes you can - and after much persuasion, Hna Perez finally just told him to do the best her could. he sighed heavily, picked up the Book of Mormon and proceeded to read the verse perfectly, haha :)  The next lesson, when we asked him if he was reading in the Book of Mormon, he proudly told us `yes, because I know how to read you know `.

3) In one moment in the lesson, I was teaching something when Daniel interrupted me and said `what? I'm sorry, but I don't understand you. why are you speaking English?` thinking it was my accent, I just laughed and said `okay, maybe Hna Perez can take it from here`. Hna Perez picked up where I had left off, and started teaching. however a few seconds later, Daniel once again said `what? I dont undersatnd English. Why are you speaking to me in English There were a few moments of paused confusion and Hna Perez said `Daniel... I am speaking in Spanish..` He just looked surprised and said `really? Wow, you should meet my friend. He always speaks to me in Spanish too! ` Haha :) After we left the lesson, we busted up laughing and Hna Perez said `look at the gift of tongues! I could speak English all along and never knew!` 

4) When we arrived at their house the other to teach them, we clapped in front of the gate, and Daniel came out decked out in ski gear. He was sporting ski pants, a huge coat, winter hat, and complete with clear construction goggles. We were a little bewildered at first, but Hna Perez covered it up by complimenting him on his hat. Later on, she started giggling, and tried to cover it up by complimenting him on the hat again when he looked at her. When she mentioned the hat the second time, he seized the hat protectively and said `fa, me quiere robar el gorrito!` thinking she was trying to steal the hat.  

Stink. Basically, a mission is a huge adventure, haha :) 

Really, I feel so blessed! I love where I am, and especially love what I am doing! (horrible typos and all - sorry about that, haha :) This last week, I was reading in Alma, and came across this: 

 35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all apowerball wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a cmercifulBeing, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

If there was ever a time, ever a people who have reason to rejoice, it is us, and us alone! The endowed and empowered latter day saints of the church of God. How much i LOVE this gospel, and how strongly I know that there is no other foundation given through which was can receive peace than through these eternal truths. Read the Book of Mormon - every day! It is the protection that God has given to us as Satan has stepped up his attacks in these latter days. Just as the adversary ups his attacks, so the Lord ups our defenses, and that is why we, and only we in all the history of this world, have the Book of Mormon.  

I love you all! Always remember to pray to depend upon our father in Heaven, and know that I love you all!  

Love, Hna Lake :)

No comments:

Post a Comment